Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Nature Dances with Wind: Visiting Sulphur, Oklahoma

Me standing with my back to the camera, looking upstream, pulling my hair up into a bun

In the heart of Sulphur, Oklahoma, lies a sanctuary where I find that nature dances with wind and waters sing a soothing song. One goal for my April LOTR month, which is focused on Treebeard, the Ent, was to spend a day in a forest. Last weekend I found myself immersed in the beauty around Veterans Lake and then enjoyed the enchanting calm of Pebbles Falls located in the Chickasaw National Recreation Reserve. These moments below offered a sanctuary for my spirit and a much-desired refuge from everyday chaos.

I ventured over first to Veterans Lake and made the scenic drive up to the water’s edge. I spent some time just watching a duck plunge below for food. It would pop up yards from where it descended, and I enjoyed trying to guess where it would emerge. My hour spent there was calming, and I especially enjoyed the deep blue waves rushing across the lake. Next, I drove to the reserve and found a place that only allowed one car to park. Perfect! Bird songs, mostly of Tufted Titmice, filled the air and I wandered down the bank into the middle of the stream so I could stand and be completely surrounded by the cool forest and waterfall sounds. Looking downstream, I suddenly noticed two Yellow-crowned Night-Herons waiting patiently for a morsel to float their way. The moment was beautiful!

As I drove home, I traveled with a lighter heart and rejuvenated spirit. The last stop on my journey this weekend was to pull over and take some pictures with bluebonnets which are a rare sight in Oklahoma. With each click of my camera this weekend, I immortalized the resilience and grace of nature -- honestly it left an indelible mark on my soul. So much so that my husband joined me the very next day and we drove up there again to visit the same places! I love him so. Below are a few photos. Click this link if you want to take 1 minute to sit with me while we listen to a stream and the wind dance.

Picture of two herons standing still on fallen branches in the middle of a stream

Picture of me sitting in the back of my vehicle listening to birds sing
Me standing with my back to the camera in the middle of the waterfall looking up stream

Waterfall - pic. 1

Waterfall - pic 2

Me standing, back to camera, in the middle of a stream with my arms raised to the side enjoying the sunshine
 
Me in front of a city fountain, wearing sunglasses

Lake's green shoreline with deep blue water and light blue sky

Me standing in front of a tree blooming with white flowers

White flowers in a tree

Bluebonnets in a field surrounded by green grass with a bee sipping from one of the flowers