Wednesday, March 27, 2024

March - Bilbo Baggins' Month


This month I celebrated my 50th trip around the sun! Since my year is focused on a different character each month from the Lord of the Rings, I decided that this would be the perfect month for me to focus on celebrating my own milestone birthday just as Bilbo Baggins celebrated his 111th birthday in the story.

I didn't plan a huge party, that's not my style, but after gathering a lot of ideas from others I decided on a small trip with my husband and parents. We rented an AirBnB and headed off to a romantic candlelight concert with the Listeso String Quartet playing a tribute to the rock band, Queen! [photos below] 

Lifestyle: For this LOTR month, I wanted to focus on celebrating simple joys and some cozy lifestyle practices of hobbits. How? Well, by taking part in "Elevenses" of course! It's a cherished tradition among hobbits to enjoy a mid-morning snack, typically consisting of tea and perhaps some biscuits, cakes, or other treats. This cozy ritual allowed them to take a break from their daily activities and indulge in a moment of relaxation and refreshment. So Monday-Friday, I set an alarm for Elevenses and took a tea break. This worked out perfect for me because I'm terrible at taking work breaks and they are so good for your mind and body. 

Nature: Hobbits are depicted as having a strong connection to the land and a deep appreciation for agriculture and gardening. Bilbo Baggins was no exception since he was known for being fond of gardening and growing things. In light of this, I decided to plant some perennial Columbines in our yard on the north side. Check them out, here. That side of the house had been very bare but now it's filled with early bird purple-yellow, red-yellow, and blue-white variety. They looked wonderful against our bungalow's blue hardy board. I planted a rose bush and daffodils last year -- and both flourished so I'm hopeful these columbines will grow well and bloom year after year.

Also, I watched The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies movie, celebrated Tolkien's Reading Day on March 25th, and began reading The Hobbit book for the 1st time. I have a beautiful imitation leather set so I'm excited to read them!


As I bid farewell to March, I'm grateful for the simple joys and cozy traditions inspired by my studies of Bilbo Baggins and hobbits. From a serene candlelight concert with loved ones, refreshing Elevenses tea breaks and getting some beautiful flowers in the soil, this month has reminded me of the importance of treasuring life's small pleasures.