Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Unmasking: Exploring Authenticity in Self-Portraits

I've been diligently working on my self-care "bingo" card for the month [updated from this one], and today I finally decided to check off the box that says "inner light photo session." In 2012, I had done a similar photo shoot in my backyard, setting up my camera for a rapid series of shots, all in an attempt to capture and express my inner light.

This time around, I opted for a portrait session focusing on different expressions and moods. To be honest, it's hard to be vulnerable but I feel like it's so good for my heart when I push passed my self-criticism. I deliberately chose to convert some of the photos to black and white, finding that it helped eliminate distractions, allowing a more true essence shine through. With each passing year, I want to embrace myself more fully and accept the person I'm becoming.

So here's my encouragement to you: why not schedule your own photo session? It's a chance to unleash your creativity, have some fun, and most importantly, let your inner light radiate for all to see.
_____________________________________________________________

Side note: Difference in a selfie and self-portraiture?
Selfies are typically casual snapshots taken with smartphones, primarily for social media or personal communication. They're often spontaneous and focus on capturing moments or activities. In contrast, self-portraiture is deliberate and artistic, where the photographer creates an image to convey a specific message, emotion, or idea .Artists throughout history have created self-portraits as a way to explore their own identity, skills, and artistic vision.