Saturday, September 9, 2023

Earthing: My experience with "grounding"

As Moses cast away hi sandals in honor of God's divine presence, the whispers of ancient scriptures invite me to worship; reminding me that when I connect with Him, that earthen spot is holy. These thoughts echo through me as I gently ground my hands and feet.

⚡Welcome to my 7-day spiritual grounding journey! I'll be going barefoot and hope to spend time praying and reflecting. And, if I happen to cast away some negative energy and get some ion balance, all the better. 😉 Join me as I stumble through the quirks of an earthing practice. This mini-journal are my experiences, including the mishaps and wonders along the way.

 

🌍🌱🌞 Commitment: 7 days with 15 minutes of earthing. 

  • Started: Monday, August 28th
  • Ended: Sunday, September 3rd

Day 1: "Made it nearly to 15 mins, wearing socks (read it's okay). Started with my phone in hand, but set it down to feel wind and stare at leaves. Cooler day at 88°F. Relaxed, people-watched, stretched, prayed, plus found a rock for one of my summer bucket list items – decorate a rock with an encouraging message as a surprise for a stranger to find!"

Day 2:  "Today, I sought solace in a shaded picnic spot, aiming to let my feet meet grass instead of dirt. Alas, within 3 minutes, curious ants joined the scene. A swift relocation to a nearby bench and my session turned into grounding on concrete - challenges. However, the fresh air and cooler temperatures brought peace. Despite initial frustration, I emerged a tad bit calmer."
🐜

Day 3: "Today was the best one yet! I spent 15 minutes on cool grass, barefoot, with a light evening breeze and my pups nearby. Did some emotional work. My time was wonderfully restful. I might head out again tonight during the blue super-moon. Part B-grounding while watching the bright moon drift through the sky was amazing!"

Day 4: "I've discovered that grounding at night is my favorite. Sitting in the backyard, gazing at the stars, and tonight, relaxing with a drink – I love the privacy of the night, the soothing rest to my eyes, and wiggling my toes in the cool grass. Thoreau once wrote that night was more novel and less profane than day, and that's been my wholehearted experience these past two summer nights.

Day 5: "Wanted to try morning earthing - took some willpower. Undeniably worth it, and for the first time, I lingered well past the timer because I was feeling so good. Maybe tomorrow the lake. Interestingly, I did take a 3-hour nap this evening, which makes me wonder if in some way grounding is helping to reduce cortisol."

Day 6:"I tried grounding today, but the day was too busy and hot. Despite that, I'm content with my progress and am giving myself grace."

Day 7: "At the lake, finally! My usual beach side location was too packed. Found a quiet boat dock area. While I couldn't ground there, I made the most of it by lounging in the back of my car and soaking in the sunshine. Driving home I discovered a pull over spot along the main road that had white'ish flowers and massive boulders. One was perfect to sit and have a place to rest my feet (photo above). Ahh, success!

Reflections: "Despite the bumps along the way, this experience was a challenge I needed and I'm genuinely grateful I gave it a try. As I learn more about the practices of people in 'Blue Zones,' I'm curious about whether their extended lifespans could be attributed in part to their time spent outdoors, walking barefoot on natural terrain, and engaging in gardening. Earthing helped guided me into much needed mental relaxation and present-moment awareness. I may have to do this ever so often."

Side note: Before this post went live, I shared my experiences with my Momma. She decided that day to step outside and put her feet in the sand, like she would when she was a little girl. Later, she said she loved it so I do hope you'll try grounding today. ❤️

Scripture reference: Exodus 3:5