Monday, April 8, 2019

A Proem - Visiting the Texas Border

My son (almost 14 yrs old) and I often hold dissimilar views in politics, religion, civil rights, and social justice issues. I appreciate that he is usually open to discussing things and he is not afraid to push back if he disagrees. He will be a leader someday and has a strong personality which, although can be trying, is ultimately a great skill. Recently, he joined me on a trip to El Paso to check out the Beto O'Rourke's presidential campaign announcement.

To watch him engage with protestors, ask participants questions, walk the Spanish markets, and converse with me about all that's going on at the Texas border was a satisfying experience for me and a learning experience for him. I was fascinated by his depth of insight of walking around as one of the few white guys and his deep articulation that ultimately, he felt he was never a minority.

I enjoyed the campaign announcement and speaking to the locals. I even listened to an interview that a journalist from Japan did with a woman who lived in El Paso. He had been sent there specifically to write about the campaign, which surprised me. Below are a few photos from this interesting trip.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime."  ~Mark Twain