Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Adoption Update & Prayer Requests

My son on my old European folding bike

I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him.
~
1 Samuel 1:27 


Mr. T has selected his new legal name! I've mailed the official paperwork to the lawyer and Monday, July 11th has been requested for his adoption!! Besides requesting prayers that Monday, July 11th will indeed be approved as the finalization date, I have a couple of other prayer requests.

1. Peace in Mr. T's heart and mind that nothing is going to make the adoption fail, fall through and that I won't die. Both my children have expressed a fear that my death could cause them to go back into the system. He may begin more strongly testing me to see if my love for him will hold up. This behavior is common among older children as they get closer to being adopted. His anxiety is becoming more intense due to being disappointed and rejected by so many adults in the past. Like most children that enter care at an age when it's hard to understand why they are there (select green link to read previous post about little Super-man), Mr. T believes something is wrong with him. Subconsciously, to admit the failures of a blood family often bashes something deep within a child's own psyche because they carry the same biology. My sweet, smart and loving boy thinks he's going to mess things up and that somehow I'll change my mind and not want him. Get behind us, Satan, in Jesus' name. 

2. Patience and understanding from me as I parent and love both my children through this final month. July 11th will be monumental because Mr. T's adoption will also mark the first day the cord is completely cut with the state foster care system. My daughter has waited for this moment for almost 8 years now, Mr. T has been waiting for almost 4 years and for me it's been over 3 years since I began the process. I have a framed foster/adoption certificate that is required by the state to be displayed in our house since our home is foster approved. My kids asked me the other day if they can tear my certification paper in half and burn it. For me, getting certified to adopt was the way I found my children and I love that but I TOTALLY understand the symbolism it holds for them...so I will take a picture of it then let them rip and burn it, baby! May their healing continue.

Anyway, I can't wait. We are only 34 days away and my emotions go from joyful grins to tearful gratitude in an instant. Our family portraits are amazing and I look forward to sharing some of them with you! 

Thank you for all your support! Thank you for all your continued prayers. Thank you to those who have spent time with my children and loved up on them. A special thank you to Angie Mack for spending so much time with both my children!! They love you so much. Thank you Esther Mack for taking time at Easter to spend with us. Thank you to the Baars family for your love, care and for spending special time with both my kids. Especially, THANK YOU to my momma and papa for their love, understanding and amazing open hearts!

Most importantly, I'm thankful to God for his grace, mercy and love for me...for giving me the strength, support and resources to adopt as a single parent. I'm not worthy to be called "Mom" but I cherish it. 

Praise God, who did not ignore my prayer
or withdraw his unfailing love from me.~ Psalm 66:20