Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The Blessing of Touch

When is the last time you let your hands do the 'seeing' for a while? Yesterday for my Coffee & Cozy time with God I focused my time on "touch." Imagine with me and feel these verses:

  • He [Jesus] touched her hand and the fever left her...Matthew 8:15
  • When she heard about Jesus, she came up behind him in the crowd and touched his cloak, because she thought, “If I just touch his clothes, I will be healed. Mark 5:27-28
  • Jesus reached out his hand and touched the man. “I am willing,” he said. “Be clean!” And immediately the leprosy left him. Luke 5:13
  • Then he [Jesus] went up and touched the coffin, and those carrying it stood still. He said, “Young man, I say to you, get up!” Luke 7:14
  • [Jesus after the resurrection] Look at my hands and my feet. It is I myself! Touch me and see; a ghost does not have flesh and bones, as you see I have.” Luke 24:39

WOW! Inspired by these verses, I spent some time meditating on those scriptures and imagined I was the woman touching Jesus' cloak and what it felt like, or imagining what his hand reaching out to comfort me would feel like, or even what it must have felt like for him when he placed his hand on that coffin and the young man came alive again. Afterward, I used my hands to see and spent time noticing small but wonderful details around me.

feeling the felted pattern on my pillow...


 feeling how solid my coffee cup is...


feeling the thinness of my journal page...


 feeling the softness of Manna's fluffy tail....


I hope today you'll get a moment to really see something afresh...with your hands. May it overwhelm you with gratitude! May it help you cease from any numbness that can come in our spirits because we rush around so much! :)