Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Saying Goodbye to a Home


Our current house is under contract to sell and, God willing, it will only be a week until we move. Packing and coordinating a move is stressful for sure! On top of that stress, we don't often talk about the emotions, even the mourning, that can take place. 

Our homes are full of memories. They hold both good and bad moments of our lives. So what do you do with all these emotions? I've been stuffing them, personally. The toll on my mind and body is obvious to me. I realized today that I have "rituals" for moving into a new house for sure - praying through the rooms, laying on the living room floor dreaming about this new place of sanctuary etc., - but I hadn't created much room to say goodbye to this current house. 

So I've gone on the hunt to begin this process. Here are some tiny projects I'll be doing that may help someone else someday. 

Good Memories - Spend some time in each room focused on good memories, growth that took place, and laughter. Go to the street and take a long hard look at the home that gave you shelter from storms, heat, rain, and even the pandemic! Consider taking a video so you can remember the sounds of the neighborhood or the backyard birds. Take some time to list all the great memories you can remember!
 

Bad Memories  - homes can hold heartache too. I don't want to take the bad feelings that were created from stress, anger, and drama into my next place but lately, even as they come to mind I find myself stuffing them. Sometimes we need space to mourn the things we hoped for that didn't take place. We need a place to break free. To break up some negative energy and thoughts before I move, I'm going to:

  • Grab a large glass jar
  • Take a marker and write bad memories on the outside
  • Go outside and place a large trash bag down on the ground.
  • Smash the jar on the ground - throw it away then,
  • Be at peace, focus on your new beginning and move on! 

Do not forget...

1000+ Leaving Home Quotes on Pinterest | Desiderata Poem, College ... | Leaving  quotes, Leaving home quotes, College quotes 

 PS - Considering throwing out the old broom so the negative aspects of your life at your previous home do not follow you to your new home. A new broom = fresh, clean start to life in your new house.