I grew in my passion for voting during the summer of 2012 when I studied out US Women's Suffrage. During that time, women like Alice Paul, Lucy Stone, Elizabeth Blackwell, Inez Milholland, Lucy Burns, & Lucretia Mott became heroines to me. As I read wonderful stories about the resolve of these women to help others and win freedom rights, I began to realize that I have a passionate heart too...and it's one of an activist. The title of Activist isn't used much lately but that's what I am! Activism consists of efforts to promote, impede, or direct social, political, economic, or environmental change, or stasis.
There are many passions that flow from my heart and I must be vocal about them. Your vote is your voice! Unfortunately, when it comes to voting, I think this quote by Bill Vaughan rings too true: "A citizen of America will cross the ocean to fight for democracy, but won't cross the street to vote in a national election."
Today is election day and it is not too late! Please get educated on the issues and vote. However, maybe you can't vote today because you've neglected to even registered? If so don't wait until the next elections sneak up on you...register to vote today by clicking here: www.usa.gov - Citizen Voting Register
In the spirit of today, here are some voting quotes. *grin*
- Abraham Lincoln said,"Elections belong to the people. It's their decision. If they decide to turn their back on the fire and burn their behinds, then they will just have to sit on their blisters."
- Every election is determined by the people who show up. ― Larry J. Sabato, Pendulum Swing
- Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently and all for the same reason. ~José Maria de Eça de Queiroz, translated from Portuguese
- People often say that, in a democracy, decisions are made by a majority of the people. Of course, that is not true. Decisions are made by a majority of those who make themselves heard and who vote - a very different thing. ~Walter H. Judd
- Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. ~ George Jean Nathan
- Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost. ~ John Quincy Adams Quotes
- Have you ever stopped to ponder the amount of blood spilt, the volume of tears shed, the degree of pain and anguish endured, the number of noble men and women lost in battle so that we as individuals might have a say in governing our country? Honor the lives sacrificed for your freedoms. Vote. ~ Richelle E. Goodrich, Smile Anyway: Quotes, Verse, & Grumblings for Every Day of the Year