Friday, October 26, 2012

Reflections: 2 Peter 2:19 "For you are a slave to whatever controls you.”


Oh God,
Enslave me to Your righteous ways… all my days.
Enslave my heart to live...in the light You give.
Enslave my soul forever… to leave You, never. 

I smile when I see my Sunny cat warming herself in the sunlight that God gives.
* Reflection #1: 
Matthew 3:11 "I baptize with water those who turn from their sins and turn to God. But someone is coming soon who is far greater than I am--so much greater that I am not even worthy to be his slave.” NLT ~John the Baptist~”  

* Reflection #2: 
Philippians 2:7 He made himself nothing; [Or He laid aside his mighty power and glory] he took the humble position of a slave and appeared in human form.” NLT

* Reflection #3: 
1 Corinthians 7:22 And remember, if you were a slave when the Lord called you, the Lord has now set you free from the awful power of sin. And if you were free when the Lord called you, you are now a slave of Christ.” NLT
Mark “…Whoever wants to be a leader among you must be your servant, 44and whoever wants to be first must be the slave of all.” NLT

* Reflection #4: Apostles write - NLT
Romans. 1:1Greetings from Paul, Jesus Christ's slave,”
James 1:1 “Greetings from James, a slave of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ.”
2 Peter 2:1 “Greetings from Simon Peter a slave and apostle of Jesus Christ.”
Jude 1:1 “Greetings from Jude, a slave of Jesus Christ…”

Trust. Humility. Courage. 

Practical: Return to the first scripture in 2 Peter 2:19 and consider “…For you are a slave to whatever controls you.” What controls you? What if the next 24 hours you imagined yourself being a slave for Christ? What would your day entail? How would that change your moment-to-moment decisions?