Monday, August 14, 2023

Chasing Hope: A Night of Music with NF

Encouraged by my hubby, who always champions me to be adventurous, I recently set out on a solo trip to an NF concert. It was a scorching Wednesday in early August. The thermometer was struggling at 107 degrees and I waited outside the concert venue for over an hour. In some ways that only heightened my anticipation because I felt in my heart the night would be unforgettable.

As I finally stepped into Dickies Arena, the blast of frigid air was an invigorating contrast to the outside. The venue filled up with an eclectic crowd of happy odd-balls. I'm a fairly new fan so I didn't know what to expect. Some sported NF quote shirts, while others showcased an array of styles, ranging from goths with black painted smiles stretched across their lips [which is an NF video reference], to preppy folks dressed in t-shirts and loafers with a distinct absence of socks who were most likely Christian. NF is known for not cursing in his music. Despite the diversity we shared an air of friendliness and comradery.

As I took my seat, black balloons were being playfully tossed above the crowd on the floor level. The symbolism was not lost on me - NF often employs black balloons as metaphors for the burdens we all carry. He's skilled at helping others not feel so alone - so it was heartwarming to imagine people releasing their personal burdens to each other. It reminded me of his music quote, "I want you to know when you're alone and you feel afraid, You're not the only person in the world that isn't okay. There's millions of us just like you, like you, like you..."

As the opening act left the stage, we were plunged into darkness, amplifying the collective anticipation. A surge of music and fans rising to their feet sent chill-bumps down my arms. NF's artistry thrives on his willingness to share his struggles, his conversations with God, and even his sense of humor. Through his albums, he crafts cinematic experiences that span the decade, often intertwining them with meticulously placed "Easter eggs." His previous songs have reflected the somber realities he has been confronting in his life of childhood abuse, mental health challenges of OCD, depression and anxiety - especially on stage, and the death of his mom who unfortunately overdosed. After his Perception tour in 2018, he revealed his was not well and admitted himself into therapy. Since then he has married and had one child, a son, in 2021. His 2023 album, "Hope," marks a departure from a darker NF and signals a pivot toward fostering hope and some healing. I highly recommend the title song, "Hope." My struggles have been different but I've related to feelings expressed in his music and my spirit lately has also been feeling more hopeful so again, his music is timely.

As I look back today, I'm reminded of the importance of going to concerts of the artists who resonate deeply with us. Such experiences are worth having, even if our pockets are empty or if we must venture alone. It's in these moments that we find a richness of self-discovery, connection, and personal growth. Going solo to the NF concert might have been an unconventional choice, but it reaffirmed the old saying that the most meaningful adventures often begin with a single step.

So, dear reader, let this be an invitation. An invitation to embrace the unexpected, to journey solo if you must, and to create memories that are uniquely yours. Just as NF's music encourages his fans toward hope, I want to do the same. May every adventure encourage you toward your own amazing horizons.