Sunday, May 11, 2014

Tangle Art

Lately, I've wanted to express myself artistically but really don't have the time to drag out all my art supplies. So I've been trying the art form of "zentangles" or "tangle patterns." I am a novice but this art form is attractive and enjoyable because of how calming and visually interesting it can be. Also, all you need is paper and pen. 

Often using single strokes and repeated patterns, I find drawing tangle art during my coffee and cozy's can help as I meditate on a scripture's theme. In fact, because I'm such a visual person, by repeating a sentiment while drawing, later when I recall the picture, the words come to mind too.



There are videos online you can watch to learn quick, new patterns. I learned this one below just now. The artists in the video called the pattern "mooka" because of a style they see in Alphonse Mucha's artwork. He was a Czech Art Nouveau painter and decorative artist.


There is never an eraser involved...any flaws in the pattern just become incorporated in the piece. In my life, that concept is like taking an easy breathe. ah....

Much like doodling, I think this activity would also be great for children, especially those who need to wind down at the end of a long day or who are going through a very stressful time. I specifically think of foster children. You could simply draw boxes and have them fill them in as a calm down exercise.

Anyway, I hope to use this more and more in my journals and times with God to make the experience more rich and help to calm my busy mind so I can focus on Jesus even more!


Can you think of verses or scriptures themes where these tangles could be used? I can!