Monday, July 16, 2012

Peacocks in Early Christian Art

Recently, my bedroom has slowly started changing themes. It began with an idea of placing simple peacock feathers inside a glass hurricane. I did this because not only was it pretty but it brought back great memories for me of my childlike nature because in kindergarten I always picked the peacock feather to play with during class free time.

I've not been drawn to peacocks since that time yet these past few months peacocks are popping up all around me. I even bought a bed spread that reminds me of the peacock and my colors have shifted from a mostly green bedroom to one full of greens and blues.
Here's Manna playing on the new comforter:  


When I started doing a little research, I found it interesting that early Christian artists often used some version of the peafowl. Now when I see a peacock picture or come across a feather my thoughts instantly go to God. (which I find very comforting) So as just a tidbit for you today, below are a couple of other pictures I found online that might be interesting for you to do some continued reading.   

https://www.kimbellart.org/Collections/Collections-Detail.aspx?cid=8400

"In Early Christian art, the peacock symbolized immortality and was therefore an appropriate element in the decoration of a church. The accompanying flower probably alludes to God’s bountiful creation..." ~ Kimbell Art Museum, Fort Worth, Texas

Saint Cecilia was an aristocrat and an early Christian who was martyred in her home in AD 230
http://stefany18.wordpress.com/2012/05/05/early-christian-2/

Catacombs of Priscilla, Rome
Wiki
Episcopal basilica in Stobi (another link here)
The Episcopal basilica in the ancient city of Stobi has a big four leaf shaped baptismal room next to it. It was built in the 4th century and is decorated with beautiful floor mosaics, presenting peacocks and deers drinking water from fountains. The water and the fountains represent Christ and his teaching, the deers represent the suffering soul of the Christian and the peacocks represent eternal life. In the center of the room there is a baptismal pool decorated with white and black marbles, over which a dome used to stand.