Wednesday, May 14, 2014

The Secret Life

"Ground control to Major Tom..."

If you've seen this movie, you'll understand the quote above and it's significance. The most recent rendition of "Secret Life of Walter Mitty" is probably one of my new favorites! When it arrived I watched the special features right away and then watched the movie again. It lifts my spirits and inspires me to be adventurous and step out on faith. (I mean just look at the cover! ha). Plus, as you know, Iceland is "my island." *grin* Artistically, the movie is just done well and having this movie arrive today reminds me that God is right by my side encouraging me. (It always amazes me how God knows just how to touch our hearts.)

And, I need all the encouragement I can get because I believe there could be big changes in my life soon. More to come on that later...suspense. ha.

Because I had a meeting at my adoption agency today, I grabbed the journal I used during training classes. In it I had created a section of encouragement quotes and as I flipped through them I thought about how the timing of reading these again ended up being the encouragement I needed.


In all these things, God has whispered to my heart..."have peace & soak in this moment. Live it deeply. Don't get too distracted by the changes and the future that you forget to enjoy this stage...right now."

God is my ground control! :) Walter Mitty was guided by Life magazine's motto and I'm guided by God's word. Just as ole Walter stepped out on faith through the movie, I've got to find those inspirations that help me to step out on faith too. How wonderful that we have a Guide in life! How blessed that God teaches us in so many ways. I came across this psalm while researching the word "guide" in the bible. I hope these words dig a well of comfort in your heart too.

Psalm 16

Keep me safe, O God,
    for I have come to you for refuge.
I said to the Lord, “You are my Master!
    Every good thing I have comes from you.”
The godly people in the land
    are my true heroes!
    I take pleasure in them!
Troubles multiply for those who chase after other gods.
    I will not take part in their sacrifices of blood
    or even speak the names of their gods.
Lord, you alone are my inheritance, my cup of blessing.
    You guard all that is mine.
The land you have given me is a pleasant land.
    What a wonderful inheritance!
I will bless the Lord who guides me;
    even at night my heart instructs me.
I know the Lord is always with me.
    I will not be shaken, for he is right beside me.
No wonder my heart is glad, and I rejoice.
    My body rests in safety.
10 For you will not leave my soul among the dead
    or allow your Holy One to rot in the grave.
11 You will show me the way of life,
    granting me the joy of your presence
    and the pleasures of living with you forever.