Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Journal of Daily Greats


I've been keeping a new journal on my bedside table. It's not a journal of my random thoughts or even a gratitude journal, per se, like the ones you hear about so often. This journal is where I'm recording at least 3 great things that happened each day.

For some reason, it's easy for me to remember all the things that went wrong during a day. I lay down for the night and my mind starts racing about how I burnt the toast, I forgot to send that email, or the disagreement I had with someone. Honestly, that's silly and no way to live! To combat this type of thinking I decided that I would instead focus on all the great things that happened. I've listed stuff like:

  • I worked hard today and earned every bit of my paycheck
  • Connected with that person I had been praying for and got shared my faith
  • Resisted buying that expensive ring I didn't need
One day I even wrote: drank more water today than normal!

haha

This is just a little way for me to celebrate and really focus on the positive. Some scriptures I'm using to encourage me are:

Finally, brothers & sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. (Philippians 4:8)

The cheerful heart has a continual feast. (Proverbs 15:15)

Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 3:13-14)