Sunday, December 18, 2011

A Red Winter Valentine

Trickle, Sunny, and Manna have a new TV of sorts since I moved their kitty mansion into my master bedroom by one of the windows. They are 'glued' to their new view and ecstatic about all the birds they see. I happened to be looking out the window for a different reason. I bought a new bird house in the summer from an Etsy vendor who specializes in ones that birds will actually use as a nest. It caught my eye when some birds were clinging to the outside of the birdhouse, taking turns poking their little heads in and discussing the real estate.

Since I'd just finished my 'Coffee & Cozy time' with God, I went to the kitchen to warm my coffee and strolled over to the backdoor. As I stood there watching, suddenly I saw him. He was beautiful. A special delivery..a red winter valentine from God...
...a brilliant red cardinal.

Many people already know why red cardinals are a special sign of love from God to me. If not, ask me about it someday because I enjoy sharing those faith building stories.
The red one didn't check out the bird bungalow...he just bounced around in the bare branches of the fig tree for me to watch. In 2 Timothy 4:16-17 Paul says, "At my first defense, no one came to my support, but everyone deserted me. May it not be held against them. But the Lord stood at my side and gave me strength." This was the last scripture I read during my Coffee & Cozy. I remembered it as I watched the cardinal and God strongly reaffirmed to me that he is standing at my side and giving me strength. Thanks, God!

Just as Carol Burnett would end her show with a tug on her earlobe to let the grandmother who raised her know that everything was alright and that she loved her...God has special and unique ways to speak to each of us. You can't force it...you can only be open to noticing it. My 'inside' things with God have come through 13 years of building a real relationship...you know the kind...with inside jokes, date nights, silences, laughter, tears, serving others, vacations together, arguments, making up, and the like. You are His and He is yours.

When was the last time you laughed with God? Have you planned some type of small get-a-way just you and Him lately? Did you have a fight and need to go make up? Maybe you need to write Him a love note, or ask Him to sit on the couch as you sing Him a song?

May we never forget that God is the master of relationships. He wants to walk with you in the neighborhood as you pray for your neighbors. He wants to whisper words in your ear to share with the woman sweeping at the gas station. And I know He wants you to cuddle up in His arms on the couch or in your favorite chair and tell you He is always at your side and giving you strength. My prayer is that this week you do something out of the ordinary with God or even something mundane...but that you truly see the importance that a relationship with God is actually a relationship.
love you!