Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Portion Controlled Breakfast

I'm so thankful for breakfast time. I really enjoy the quiet of the morning, sitting at my 180 year old dining table, resting in the peace of God's presence and spending time with Him. Lately, I've been looking for breakfasts that are fast and freeze well so that making breakfast doesn't cut into my time with Him. It also helps if they would help with portion control too. :)  I really like this recipe below so I thought I'd share. I've baked these muffins using Bisquick and eggs, bacon, and even mushrooms. I've also pushed some frozen fresh blueberries in the top of a few. Yum!

Directions:
  • Pre-heat oven to 375
  • Follow Bisquick directions to make drop biscuits.
  • Use muffin paper cups / spray muffin tin with organic olive oil spray
  • Spread only a spoonful of Bisquick batter into bottom of muffin tin (kind of spread it out)
  • Scramble one egg for every two muffins you decide to make (I only scrambled slightly)
  • Pour over Bisquick 1/2 egg into each muffin tin
  • I added cooked bacon / mushrooms to top
  • Cook them for 15 min.
Refrigerate or freeze them for later. I've done both and they heat up perfectly when microwaved.

Another comfort I'm enjoying lately is hot ginger tea. It's a simple recipe that I found on Martha Stewart's website. It has a little kick and I find it warms me inside and out anytime I feel weary or if I get a winter's chill.

Spicy, yummy Hot Ginger Tea goodness: Yields 4 to 5 cups:

Ingredients: 8 to 10 slices of unpeeled, fresh ginger - 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger - Brown sugar, to taste.

Directions: Add ginger slices, grated ginger, and brown sugar to 4 to 5 cups water and bring to a boil in a saucepan for approximately 20 minutes. Strain and serve immediately.