Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality. Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited. Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord. On the contrary: "If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head." Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
Is my love sincere?
- I’m called to hate evil. Do I watch TV shows, listen to music, or watch movies that promote evil?
- Devoted: Am I loving and loyal to those around me?
- In what ways do I honor others above myself?
- Disheartened? What ways can I still show zeal & spiritual fervor to serve the Lord?
- When was the last time I gave something to someone in need?
- When was the last time I invited someone into my home and served them?
- Am I sensitive and understanding to the needs of others or what they are going through? Maybe I should ask them!
- Write down some ideas of ways I can overcome evil with Good:
I hope you get to spend some time being faithful in prayer today, especially about the love we are called to have as disciples of Christ :) and also praying about whatever situation you find yourself in where you need to be joyful in hope & patient in affliction.