Friday, July 13, 2012

Essential: Time with God


As I reflect on how important my relationship with God is, I am reminded of a few verses that have brought me to the conviction that I must have time with God each and every day. It's not always easy but without having daily time with God I am tempted to rely on myself only and turn to my old way of life or my old 'fixes'. Below are some verses that encourage me to keep fighting for my relationship with God, to open my heart to him and to let him refresh me. I hope these verses inspire you too!  

Mark [Jesus Prays in a Solitary Place] Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed. (My Lord, as Jesus relied on you, I want to have this intimate of a relationship. No matter where we spend time together, you are my solitary place, my hiding place, my home.) 

Colossians 4:2 Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. (God, you have my devotion – I will be watchful of the things you want to show me, watchful for your return and grateful.)

Philippians 4:6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. (So challenging, Lord! When I am feeling anxious going to you daily can be a struggle because I try to do things myself but I know I need it so I’ll hold to this verse and turn to you.)

Matt. 21:21-22 Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and it will be done. If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer." Mark 11:24 Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. (I know that you will not let anything get in the way of our relationship and that totally builds my faith! I will pray, pray, pray.)

Eph. 6: 17-18 Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints. (You prepare me for the day! I will keep the promise of your salvation on my mind, spend time in your word, and pray to you because you are My God!)