Friday, January 13, 2012

To tattoo or not to tattoo?

I've been asked a lot by women who are young in the faith whether it's okay for Christians to get a tattoo or piercing. I boast no authority but I do believe strongly that it's wise to ask yourself some questions, pray, and get advice before doing something on a whim. A sister asked me specifically for a study about getting a tattoo...so here it is. (of course, these questions are good to ask yourself on most things *grin*)

To tattoo or not to tattoo?
~ What are my motives for wanting a tattoo? Am I seeking to glorify God or to draw attention to myself? Do I want to fit in or am I rebelling in any way? Proverbs 16:2, 24:21

~ Is my decision based on faith? Romans 14:23

~ Is getting a tattoo honoring the Lord with my body? Will God feel honored by the specific tattoo I want to get? Romans 14:7-8, Isaiah 25:1, Psalm 29:2, Psalm 86:11, Colossians 1:9-11, Rev. 4:11

~ After praying, do I have freedom in Christ and a clear conscience before the Lord regarding the decision to get a tattoo? Acts 24:15-16, 1 Corinthians 4:4

~ Will my tattoo cause someone who is weak in the faith to stumble? Reflect on 1 Cor. 8 & 1 Cor. 10:23-33

~ Have I gotten a lot of advice from mature Christians? (Proverbs 12:5, 12:15, 19:20, 20:18)

Other verses to pray about and consider:
1 Peter 3:3-5 Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight. For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to make themselves beautiful.

Leviticus 19:28 "Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the Lord." This passage in Leviticus, including the surrounding text, is specifically dealing with the pagan religious rituals of the people living around the Israelites. Yet God’s desire is and has always been to set His people apart and be holy.

Ultimately, the decision is between you and God. Though the subject is debatable, there is a right choice for each individual. I was able to create this study quickly because I had seen a sister in Christ work through many of these same questions when she wanted to get her nose pierced. She asked many people for advice, pray a lot about it, and I think she waited about a year just to make sure that her motives were right and that she didn't rush the decision. Some might think that is extreme. I find her to be a great example and one I love to share with others. 

Here's to us going deep with God before making decisions! :)