Sunday, January 1, 2012

Be Transformed

Romans 12:2
Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

2 Corinthians 3:18

And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.

Happy New Year!

Whatever you did to celebrate…I pray it was something amazing. Me? Well, in the past I’d usually spend a great time hanging at the Single’s party at church, or throwing parties at my house to meet the needs of the ‘broke after Christmas’ or ‘I have to work most of that night’ people. This year though…in only the way God can…things changed.

This year I spent New Year’s Eve alone. Now before your heart drops for me, hold on and hear me out. I tried to do other things but despite all my efforts it became, oh so clear, that God wanted me to spend time with Him this New Year’s Eve. So how did my night turn out? Great dinner, marathon of a funny show, worked out, relaxing shower, the count down, the toast and then the most marvelous part.. after the ‘ball dropped’ I danced and praised God for the next 40 minutes straight! This was the best New Year’s Eve I’ve ever had in my whole life.

As I’ve been praying over the past few months, God has been pressing on me that He’s about to change things…especially around New Years. The Spirit is saying, “travel.” Next year, I hope to take my Mom to knock something off her dream list…the Tournament of Roses Parade! Which takes place Jan. 1st so that means, we’ll be in CA on New Year’s Eve. Also, several dreams on my dream list happen to be on New Year’s Eve…and to do those I must travel.

So, why did I share the scriptures above? I share them because they help me to remember that we get use to doing things in one way. Not all our habits are bad…sometimes God asks us to give up the good habits too. My habit had been the same ole, wonderful way I’ve always celebrated a new year. I'm called to give up the pattern of this world…and often I have to give up the pattern of Amy. lol

I feel God transformed me last night. I have a memory of celebrating a New Year just with Him, no one else around to distract me or that had my focus. And who knows? This may be the only New Year's I spend totally alone with Him. By this time next year, I may be traveling across the country, the year after that maybe I’ll be traveling around the world, the following years, I might have husband and kid in tow…or maybe God will steal me away again for a night to praise Him. Whatever He chooses I’m gonna try to be open.

May this be a transforming year for us both! May our family be protected, our hopes be fulfilled, and our focus be on Jesus. Through our Lord alone, Amen.