Monday, February 18, 2013

Silent Worship

"You awaken us to delight in your praise, You have made us for Yourself, and our hearts are restless until they rest in You." ~ St. Augustine

"I think that sometimes it can be tempting to be afraid of nothingness and God. You know, and resting in Him...I think I have a tendency to compartmentalize prayer and work; or labor and rest." ~Erin Gauvin


I was watching a conversation between singer Audrey Assad and worship leaders Erin Gauvin and Tam Le as they talked about silence, worship, labor, and rest. It's comforting to hear others discussing and seeking to understand the peace that comes from a deep relationship with God (especially when I see too many Christians worn out and suffering).

Sometimes it seems that many pull back from having quality, consistant alone time with God in study and worship because they are scared of being revealed to themselves in the silence. Yet even as I was researching the word joy over the past few days, I see that joy, rest and silence can become a natural response of fellowship with God. :) That slips my heart into a great place!

 Psalm 149:2
Let Israel rejoice in him that made him: let the children of Zion be joyful in their King.

Habakkuk 3:18
Yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation.

Romans 5:11
And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ,
by whom we have now received the atonement.

So today, I'm focusing on letting my joy in God lead me into a silent worship where I put my "ear to the ground and listen for the footsteps of God walking past." Here is the video of their short discussion and them singing the beautiful song, "Restless."