Friday, February 15, 2013

Lunch with Strangers


“You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave,
find your eternity in each moment." ~Thoreau

I had a lunch recently that was especially refreshing and proved that you need not travel far for adventure! A sudden change in my original lunch plans, and the beauty of the day, made me venture out of the office a bit into the unknown. I drove to a museum in my area with the mindset to eat a healthy lunch, do some writing in my journal, and visit the permanent collection.

After finding a terrific parking spot, I strolled in. The entry exhibits looked exciting as I passed on my way to the restaurant. "I'll have to stop by these again and really take a look at them," I said to myself while climbing the stairs. But as the Spirit would have it...I never stopped back by.

"How many in your party?" the hostess asked. "Just one," I happily replied. She walked away with a crease in her brow.

"Ummm...all we have are large tables. Would you be willing to share?"  
"If they don't mind, I don't mind." I responded.

Looking past me toward two women talking behind me, she asked, "Would you mind sharing a table?" A slender woman replied in an English accent, "I guess not." I smiled at them and shared, "It would be with me..." and she returned my smile.

Unlike the 'norm' in Texas, suddenly I was having lunch with women I'd never met. It felt very...European! ha. As we sat and paraded past some small talk, we then leaped into the thrilling topic of ADVENTURE! (One of my favorites) We swapped stories, shared dreams and inspired each other to continue to be intrepid and daring. Michelle and Kara. God, thank you that I met them!

As our table was cleared of dishes, I said, "Well, I won't keep you from your next adventure...thank you so much for letting me join you." I must admit that their responses of "ooohhh...no...sneak away and join us" were tempting but I did decline.

As I left, I just had to thank God for vulnerability and connection. All three of us being vulnerable lead to an amazing connection that warmed my whole day. I hope these two aspects of life will continue, all the more, to flow through my days and nights.

If you ever have the chance, my friend...eat with strangers!

(a quick search the iternet on this topic brings up some interesting websites & events for 'eating with strangers' - very interesting research)