Thursday, January 17, 2013

A Stronger Work Ethic

Work.

I've been thinking a lot lately of how I can put even more heart into my work. Let's face it, things aren't always fair at our jobs. In my greed, I want fair but I have to remind myself that God doesn't place me at any job just for me...he has me there to remind people of HIM! I should always be pointing to God. So as I've gone to the bible, certain scriptures keep coming up and I thought I'd share them since they fit well as I consider my thoughts/actions/attitudes about work. Let your pride fall to the side here...because I'm writing about the slave-master scriptures. These are a great reminder of the work ethic and heart I need to have as a woman who follows Christ. [1 Peter 2:20-23

Here are some verses I'm meditating on specifically...it might be worth thinking about them in relation to your employee-boss relationships:  

Ephesians 6:5-7 Slaves and Masters
Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ. Obey them not only to win their favor when their eye is on you, but like slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from your heart. Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not men, because you know that the Lord will reward everyone for whatever good [s]he does, whether [s]he is slave or free.

Colossians 3:22-25 Rules for Christian Households 
Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything; and do it, not only when their eye is on you and to win their favor, but with sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord. Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving. Anyone who does wrong will be repaid for his wrong, and there is no favoritism.

Titus 2:9-10 What Must Be Taught to Vairous Groups
Teach slaves to be subject to their masters in everything, to try to please them, not to talk back to them, and not to steal from them, but to show that they can be fully trusted, so that in every way they will make the teaching about God our Savior attractive.

1 Peter 2:13-20 Submission to Rulers and Masters
Submit yourselves for the Lord’s sake to every authority instituted among men: whether to the king, as the supreme authority, or to governors, who are sent by him to punish those who do wrong and to commend those who do right. For it is God’s will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish men. Live as free [wo]men, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as servants of God. Show proper respect to everyone: Love the brotherhood of believers, fear God, honor the king. Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh. For it is commendable if a [wo]man bears up under the pain of unjust suffering because [s]he is conscious of God. But how is it to your credit if you receive a beating for doing wrong and endure it? But if you suffer for doing good and you endure it, this is commendable before God.

It is the Lord Christ I am serving! Wow-I need this reminder every day. This 1 Peter scriptures specifically rock my heart. And thankfully, God notices our work always...yay for that work 'bonus' ! :]