Monday, September 3, 2012

Wine Cork Blessings

I posted a request for things like mason jars, old windows, wood pallets and wine corks on a work web page where employees go to sell/buy items. I was totally blessed when a woman named Claire offered me two large bags of wine corks. Because of her generosity, I wanted to make sure I put them to good use!

Project #1 Wine Cork Mat:

A few weeks ago I bought a simple .99 cents table place setting and hot glued whole wine corks to it. I imagine it would be ten times stronger if they were cut in half so that you could glue the flat side but I was just experimenting. I had it in front of the stove for awhile because it felt good on my feet after a long day at work when I was standing there cooking. Now I've placed it by my back door and I go over and walk on it when my feet are sore. The other day, I saw the Trickle cat go over, stand in front of it and place just her front paws on the mat. Cats are funny imitators! Although I'm not certain how long it will last, I'm happy that my feet have benefited and I've gotten some laughs too. :)


Project #2 Wine Cork Mirror

Oooh, I really like this. I purchased a simple, full length, black framed mirror for $5...oh about 4 years ago and just this weekend decided to line it with wine corks. It took about 30 minutes. I arranged the corks first and then started hot gluing. Originally I wanted to double line it by gluing corks on both the inside of the frame and on the frame itself but the corks do not contrast enough against my fireplace brick so I let the black frame show.






It's very unique and will be perfect for a fall mantel. All in all, I'm pleased and most grateful for all the blessings that have come my way. More posts on those blessings to come!