Friday, September 7, 2012

He Makes the Flowers Bloom

"Tend to God's business, He will tend to yours..."

~Joyce Meyer




This is a photo of my recently established Moonflower plant. Moonflower's bear large trumpet-shape flowers that open softly in the evening (or on overcast days) and stay open until the sun rises. Some are sweetly fragrant when open. This beautiful plant is also very heat- and drought-resistant which is perfect for my neck of the woods.

The Moonflower's large white flowers are in the same family as the morning glory and their vines have smooth blue–green leaves and grow very quickly. In fact, moonflower vines can grow up to 18 feet in one year! The plant gets its name not only from its nocturnal blooming habits but also because the opened flower looks like a full moon.

Recently, I read that the Moonflower symbolizes dreaming of love in the language of flowers. One article said that during the 19th century people actually held parties to watch these lovely nocturnal blossoms which can open fast right before your eyes.

Isn't it amazing that God made such a beautiful flower and made it to bloom at night with the moon when most people won't even see it? This morning it reminded me that God is constantly at work and 'tending' to LIFE! When I'm asleep, He is tending. When our edge of the world is dark, He is tending. When times are hard and we just don't know how to carry on, He's tending. Tending the large issues, tending the small, and even during all of that... He makes the flowers bloom. And with each new flower that opens on my Moonflower plant in my garden I will reflect warmly...God is dreaming of my love and I will dream of His.