Monday, June 11, 2012

Saturday's Spread

Work has been very challenging! Recently, even after a hard week, I left work on a Friday and went grocery shopping. With list in hand full of never before attempted health recipes, I fought through the crowds and stood in long lines with my items. I don't normally do this but I was on a mission.

My mission was to spend a Saturday cooking with Jesus. HA, HA. I desired some much needed time away from the drama the week had just put me through! I wanted quiet time to slowly cook and really enjoy the texture of the ingredients I was using. I aspired to make something new and healthy. And, I thirsted for time to enjoy my relationship with Christ.

So, how did it go? Great! I was able to spend much of the morning talking to God and worked in my backyard appreciating nature and the special place I now have that I had prayed to have for so many years. Also, I enjoyed the breakfast and lunch I made that day. Below are some photos.

Ham & Swiss Egg Sandwiches   Total time: 10 min
Ingredients:
  • cooking spray
  • thinly sliced deli ham
  • 1 egg
  • 1 English muffin, split and toasted
  • 1 slice Swiss cheese
Heat non-stick skillet over medium heat. Coat pan w/cooking spray and add ham to lightly brown. Remove from pan then recoat pan with cooking spray. Crack egg into pan and cook until it reaches desired doneness then remove from heat. Toast muffin halves (either with toaster/broiler) and add slice of cheese, ham, and egg. Enjoy! (I added baby spinach to mine also). Calories: 344 for one sandwich


Grilled Citrus Halibut (I used Tilapia)
Total Time: 13 min
Ingredients:
  •  1 orange
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
  • 1 teaspoon honey
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 - 4 halibut fillets
  • cooking spray
Preheat grill to medium-high heat (I used the George Foreman). Cut orange in half. Cut one half into about 7-8 slices and leave rind in place. combine lemon just and next 6 ingredients (through pepper) in a large bowl. Add fish and orange slices, toss gently to coat. Place fish and orange slices on grill coated with cooking spray and discard remaining lemon mixture. Grill all until fish reaches desired doneness. Plate the fish with a few orange slices on top. Take other half of orange and squeeze evenly over fish and grilled orange slices. Calories: 231 for fish and orange slices.