Monday, May 21, 2012

Psalm 130: 5-7

I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and in his word I put my hope. My soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen wait for the morning, more than watchmen wait for the morning. O Israel, put your hope in the Lord, for with the Lord is unfailing love and with him is full redemption...

I was reading Psalm 130 for my coffee and cozy time with God today. Afterward, I was meditating on the verses about waiting for the Lord, especially my soul, and how the psalmist compared his own waiting to how a watchmen waits for the morning. I started researching 'watchmen' (or 'sentries' as some versions read) and found a post that provided a wonderful reminder to me. Blogger Jeremy Norton wrote,

"It’s so interesting to me that the Psalmist chooses to liken a watchmen to his waiting on the Lord.  The watchman holds huge responsibility that when everyone sleeps, he is in charge of reporting dangers that may be approaching.  Whether thieves, storms or invading enemies; he must be steadfast in his watch.  Then at dawn, as the sun breaks the horizon, the watchman breathes a sigh of relief as his time of rest has arrived."

After reading that I remembered a morning last week when the sky was gray and suddenly a huge hole of sunlight came bursting through. I thought, "Wow, could Jesus be coming back today?" and peaceful excitement flooded me as I continued on my way to work.

Why? Because I'm waiting on Jesus, the true Dawn of the morning. I'm eagerly awaiting his return! I'm like the watchman anxious for the dawn and ready for the rest. The thought of seeing Jesus brings a sigh to my heart and yet I'm totally holding my breath in anticipation to see my Lord with my own eyes!

Jesus says, "Behold, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to everyone according to what [she] has done." Rev. 22:12

And I say, "Amen. Come, Lord Jesus. The grace of the Lord Jesus be with God's people. Amen." Rev. 22:20b-21