Memorial Day is a special day to remember the freedom we have as Americans and to celebrate the lives of those who fought and died so that we could have it. Below are some quick ideas of ways to celebrate this special holiday.1. Write with shoe polish on your car window a message of thanks. Or, like me, place a sign on the back window behind the driver's seat. Some ideas include:
- Remembering America's Heroes
- Honoring All Who Served
- Land of the Free & Home of the Brave
3. Support your local Memorial Day parade or community event.
4. Place an American flag outside of your home. I have a neighbor who lines their yard with little American flags every year. (if you have a flag pole, it should fly at half-mast until noon)
5. If available, decorate your home or outdoor family party with the poppy flowers. Click HERE for background on this flower of remembrance
6. Get involved with an organization that encourages current soldiers. Some examples are: Soldiers' Angels, A Million Thanks, Operation Gratitude or AnySoldier.
7. Do patriotic crafts. Check out this cool site, My Blessed Life, for ideas.
8. Many picnic or grill out. Celebrate with family and friends to enjoy the freedom that so many have fought to give us.
9. Ever consider organizing a street parade in your neighborhood? This would be a great way to meet neighbors. It doesn't have to be fancy and could consist of the neighborhood kid'os waving patriotic crafts, riding their bikes and dressed up family pets walking down the block to music. Maybe afterwards there could be a front yard picnic with simple refreshments.
10. Contact a local nursing home and see if you can join their Memorial Day celebration and encourage (not only possible veterans & their family) their residents.
11. If you live in the "Big City" then take a road trip to a neighboring small town. See what kind of festivities they are doing and explored a new place.
Have a safe and happy holiday weekend!