Sunday, December 17, 2017

Sunday, The First Day of My Week


In American culture, we tend to view our 7 day week as beginning on Monday. Five days of work and the two that follow to rest and play. I think many Christians view Sunday worship as a period to their week. This morning, I am mediating on how different my week might feel with a perspective change in treating Sunday as the first day of my week.

I'll let you go to the net and research the controversy to draw your own conclusion about what "should" be considered our first day of the week however that's not my point here. This morning my mind is on what perspective I need.

As Megan Ryan said in the movie Kate & Leopold, "Sunday is the day before the day I work, so it gets poisoned." I've felt this way. Sometimes after service, a Sunday can feel packed with a dread of Mondays and all the "adulting" that comes along with the week ahead.

But, what if Sunday is my first day of the week? What if I framed my work week in a hug of rest and play between Sunday and Saturday. Then, Sunday can be the beginning of something new instead of the end...like when God created and when Jesus rose. Even if you are not a person of faith, maybe your week would feel different if the week was sandwiched between Sunday's relaxation and Saturday's freedom?

I don't know about you but, for me, this perspective change could be the balm.

As the Proverb says, "A Sunday well spent brings a week of content."