Ha Ha. I saved this particular comic strip years ago because it has always made me chuckle. (sorry it stretches outside the page but I wanted to make sure you could read it) It's one of a set of comic strips I've collected that I might glance at when I'm stressed out.
Are you stressed? Lately, I've been reflecting on how much stress most of us feel, the majority of the time. Almost daily, we can experience extremely stressful moments. And sometimes, those moments affect us long after the event is over. Lingering results of stress haunt us.
In my family, we quote my "Uncle Walt's" favorite saying often. After a stressful week, he would often state, "Well...just don't let it ruin your weekend." I've found myself using that wisdom on a daily basis when something stressful comes along. "Okay, well just don't let it ruin your day." Besides the fact I know deep inside God doesn't want me to worry and live all stressed out!
Of course, you can do a simple internet search and find tons of ideas but here's what helps me:
- Take a prayer walk - As poet William Stafford said: "Sometimes the truth depends upon a walk around the lake."
- Go on a mental vacation; where would you go, what would you do?
- Close your eyes for a few minutes and breath deeply. Here's a post on prayer breathing.
- Recite a scripture you have memorized or read some inspiring verses for perspective. My favorite is Psalm 116 or Psalm 25!
- Watch a silly animal video. - Like this one with funny cats
- Look at the situation from a "10 years from now" perspective.
- Talk the situation over with someone you trust.
- Go to a quotes page and read inspiring quotes.
- Take 5 minutes and think about the next item on your dream list.