Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Do Not Fret

Kidnapping. Corruption. Car Bombs. Abuse. These are just a few topics in articles I saw from the online news today. I don't often read the news and rarely watch it. Why? It really stresses me out! After a long day at work, the last thing I need is to go home and eat my dinner watching depressing stories.


I was thinking about these things when I read Psalm: 37 for my "Coffee & Cozy" time with God this morning. Sometimes I forget...as strange as this might sound...to take God at his word. After reading the psalm, I went back and read it again. This time I took to heart the truth it was expressing, especially about wickedness. Reading the second time, a wonderful peace surrounded me. So if the wickedness of the world bothers your righteous heart too...may we NEVER forget these direct quotes from God's words on the matter in Psalm 37:

  • Do not fret because of those who are evil or be envious of those who do wrong; for like the grass they will soon wither, like green plants they will soon die away. 
  • Do not fret when people succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes. 
  • For those who are evil will be destroyed, but those who hope in the Lord will inherit the land.
  • A little while, and the wicked will be no more; though you look for them, they will not be found.
  • The wicked plot against the righteous and gnash their teeth at them; but the Lord laughs at the wicked, for he knows their day is coming. (I found this incredibly powerful)
  • For the power of the wicked will be broken, but the Lord upholds the righteous.
  • But the wicked will perish: Though the Lord’s enemies are like the flowers of the field, they will be consumed, they will go up in smoke
  • Wrongdoers will be completely destroyed; the offspring of the wicked will perish
  • I have seen a wicked and ruthless man flourishing like a luxuriant native tree, but he soon passed away and was no more; though I looked for him, he could not be found. 
  • There will be no future for the wicked.
We are flooded with negative everyday yet we have no need to fret. God is a God of mercy and yet he is also a God of justice. We can trust him...he sees what's going on.

“Remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall -- think of it, ALWAYS.” ~ Gandhi

God's way...the way of truth and love...has ALWAYS WON. Beautiful!