Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The Company You Keep

Bust of Menander
Have you ever heard of Menander? He was a Greek poet and dramatist who was best-known as a representative of Athenian New Comedy. Actually, he was the author of more than a hundred comedies. Would you be surprised to learn that you might have read a quote of his? At least, this is true if you've read the book of 1 Corinthians. Paul quotes Menander when he says, "Bad company corrupts good character."

Ah, friends! It's so important to have good ones. They see you through "the good, the bad, and the ugly" of life. I have been pretty fortunate to have some really good friends, especially over the past few years, who are spiritual, devoted, and loving.

The company you keep is important and it does matter! This is an unchanging fact. Those we choose to give our time to will either lift us up or drag us down. This makes it very valuable to have spiritual friends because good company promotes good character! We need their encouragement and, truth be told, we need to have them call our bluff sometimes. A real friend can do that because they are good company. I have found them to be honest and kind, in their encouragement and in their criticism. For me, my truest friends have their own unique and personal relationships with God. These women, who love God first, tend to love me truest.

Don't get me wrong, I've made a lot of mistakes and chosen wrong friends in the past but I've learned and my life has grown to have some truly deep friendships. They tend to be all over the country now, because God moves them all around, but they are cherished by me just the same.

I guess this is on my heart because my best friend is moving on the 29th of this month to another state. My dear sister, “How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.”

I'm a better woman, daughter, and disciple of Jesus because of my precious friendships. Dear reader, I pray you'll strive to keep good company...work hard at it...it's worth both your time and energy. Maybe you've not talked to a dear friend lately or maybe it's been a while since you've encouraged your friend that's near...do it now :)

Never wait until life moves you forward.